Juana’s Pagodas and Sailors’ Grill hosted the third annual Penguin Plunge and Paddle on Sunday.
The warm weather and cool water attracted more than 260 participants and helped to raise more than $3,000 for Fisher House of the Emerald Coast Inc., making this year’s event the largest in attendance and money raised since the event began in 2010, organizers said in a news release.
The check will be presented to Fisher House of the Emerald Coast Inc. at 3 p.m. Thursday at Sailors’ Grill on Navarre Beach.
Fifty participants competed in the Stand Up Paddle Board competition, which was new to the event this year.
The award winners include the following:
-- 1st Place Overall Male, Pete Buzzelli of Mary Esther
-- 1st Place Overall Female, MJ Janczewski of Miramar Beach
1. Trapper Chechak of Shalimar, FL
2. Tanner Cheachak of Shalimar, FL
3. Alex Brumett of Navarre, FL
20-39 Male 20-39 Female
1. Zachary Rettig of Santa Rosa Beach, FL 1. Angelica Cope of Pensacola,
2. Kevin Cook of Gulf Breeze, FL 2. Caitlin Sweeny of Destin, FL
3. Shawn Farroll of Cantonment, FL 3. Jessica Marcoux of Navarre, FL
40-59 Male 40-59 Female
1. Tom Pace of Pensacola, FL 1. Patricia Dittrick of Navarre, FL
2. Stephen Hulushka of Fort Walton Beach, FL 2. Regina Halushka, FWB
3. Rick Moore of Destin, FL 3. Stacey Troy, Santa Rosa Beach
A complete list of SUP results can be found at www.nwfevents.com.
Event sponsors included Juana’s Pagodas and Sailors’ Grill, The Pirates on the Panhandle ParrotHead Club, Gulf Power, Bud Light, Floridahealthchallenge.com, Navarre Press, Higher Ground Coffee, GUSU Paddle Sports, Nu Wave SUP, Mix 103.1, 105.5 the Wolf, Sport Clips, and Beach Community Credit Union.
"Holidays, birthdays & anniversaries have been celebrated with tears and smiles with people who truly understand what the other person is experiencing."
- Kamryn Jaroszewski